|Type of brake |
- Interactive turbo trainer
- Bluetooth Smart / ANT+ / ANT+ FE-C
|Available software |
- Tacx Desktop App / Zwift / The Sufferfest / Rouvy / FulGaz / Kinomap / TrainerRoad / Bkool Indoor / Skuga / GoldenCheetah / PerfPro Studio / Velo Reality
|Adjustable resistance |
|Maximum hill incline |
|Suitable for type of cassette|
|Cassette included |
|Compatibility with thru axles |
- 135 x 10mm / 142 x 12mm / 148 x 12mm; adapters required
|Compatibility with disc brakes|
|Wheel size |
- 26 inch / 27,5 inch / 28 inch / 29 inch
|Charging plug |
Detailed product description
The Tacx Neo comes with a Shimano body which is suitable for any Shimano or SRAM cassette.
Extremely strong motor brake
The Neo Smart has an extremely strong motor brake, which puts out 2200 Watt. Enough for the strongest sprinters of the pack. The high capacity is not only noticeable at high speeds. At 6 km/h the Neo Smart already puts out 450 Watt, so also the steepest climbs can be simulated. A gradient of -5% to up to 25% can be simulated. During a descent the rear wheel is powered, for an even more realistic experience. The motor brake is powerful, but also quiet as a whisper. The direct-drive has few rotating components and those rotate slowly which minimises the noise production.
It is also possible to use the trainer as a stand-alone trainer. Then you don’t need to plug in a socket. When not plugged in, the trainer has the same qualities as a fluid trainer. The resistance increases progressively; the faster you pedal, the higher the resistance. The trainer works completely wireless in this case.
The innovative principle is the purest example of direct drive technology. To optimise the power efficiency from pedal to motor, physical connections, such as strap, roll, or wheel, are left out. Your ‘power flow’ is interrupted nowhere so not a single watt is lost.
The braking power is regulated dynamically by a virtual drive wheel. This means that the resistance is calculated and adjusted constantly to simulate a natural road feeling. Other trainers have a physical drive wheel to get past the dead centre, the Neo predicts the cycling movement based on calculations and simulates a drive wheel. The Neo contains FAST technology, which means that it conducts calculations 1000 times every second to predict your movements. The virtual drive wheel causes a variable inertia-effect so the pedal movement of every rider (up to 125kg) can be simulated as realistically as possible.
They thought of everything
To calculate the right resistance all scientific formulas to which a rider on the road is susceptible are applied to get a realistic situation. These include aerodynamics, rolling resistance, gradient, weight, air pressure, wind speed, temperature, height, mass inertia, and braking qualities. They all have a part in the calculations and are all recalculated countlessly to achieve the right conditions.
Cadence is measured without cadence sensor. Like mentioned above, the Neo recalculates data 1000 times every second to predict the pedal movement. Based on the movement cadence and power are determined.
3rd Party Apps (via ANT+)
The Tacx Smart trainers can be used with various software packages, such as ZWIFT, Bkool, TrainerRoad or Kinomap. The new open source ANT+ (FE-C) protocol lets the software operate the trainer. Depending on the selected software, you can base your training sessions on power or speed, go on video rides, or roam freely in a virtual world.
Tacx Cycling App (Via Bluetooth Smart and ANT+)
In order to optimise your training session, you can use the Tacx Cycling App. The app is simple and easy to use, and freely available from the App or Play store. The app allows you to relive videos of legendary climbs and stages. It also allows you to create your own training programmes using the Catalyst function, which can be based on heart rate, gradient, or power. The app also offers pre-installed conditional tests and training sessions. The training data is displayed during your training, and stored as well so you can review it afterwards (iPad only).
The Tacx Cycling App for iPhone and Android tablets doesn’t have the complete range of functionality. For more information, check the image above or the compatibility listing for a comprehensive list.
Road pattern simulation
The Tacx Neo Smart contains a road pattern simulation feature. This means that you can simulate the feeling of cobblestones, gravel, offroad, and other kinds of roads. This new feature works in combination with the virtual worlds of Zwift and several films in the Tacx Cycling app or the Tacx training software (TTS).
• Wireless cadence measurement
• New and sturdy wing-design frame
• Universal fit for a variety of bikes
• Compatible with the Tacx Cycling App
• Compatible with 3rd party applications/software such as ZWIFT, Kinomap, Bkool and VirtualTrainer
• Tacx Trainer Software 4.0 optional (Upgrade)
• Includes Edco MultiSys body to ensure a wide range of cassette compatability (see image)
• Shimano cassette wrench required to install all types of cassettes
• Advanced Direct Drive Engine brake system
• Maximum resistance: 2200 watts
• Maximum simulated gradient: 25%
• Smooth pedal feel because of the virtual flywheel with a rotational inertia of 125 kg
• Can also be used as a stand-alone trainer (progressive resistance)
Training with the Tacx Cycling App
• Catalyst training programmes based on gradient (-5 to +20%), power, or heart rate
• Video rides with app-controlled resistance during your ride
• The smartphone software is a stripped-down version of the tablet software.
Compatibility Tacx Cycling app:
• Apple iPad 3 and up (via Bluetooth Smart)
• Apple iPhone 4s and up (via Bluetooth Smart)
• Apple iPod touch 5
• Android version 4.3 and up
• Devices without Bluetooth Smart require an ANT+ dongle